Friday, January 30, 2015

SSND American heritage

The School Sisters of Notre Dame were in my life from little on up.  I had three aunts in the order;  Sr. Agatha, Sr. Beatrice, and Sr. Lucida.  Then as I became chaplain at Good Counsel in the 1980's the connection to this order of religious women was sealed.  So last May I decided to be installed as an Associate member of SSND.  It means that I will try to value and live out the values that Blessed Theresa Gerhardinger established for her sisters.  So it became a part of my sabbatical to touch some of the heritage sites of SSND.  My first connection is here in Mankato.  Before I left I visited the graves of my aunts who are buried at Good Counsel.  Then during my time in Milwaukee I went to visit the grave of Mother Caroline who was the one who lead the sisters through their early years in America.  She was a strong leader and spiritual guide for the fledgling American presence of SSND.  The first Motherhouse was established in Milwaukee.  There is a beautiful castle like building that is still in use.  It was a gift to walk those grounds and sense the strong faith that energized these women in very difficult conditions.  It leads me to look forward to my time in Germany where I will touch the real origins of SSND.

No comments:

Post a Comment