Sunday, April 5, 2015

Easter-- with thousands, quiet

The celebration of the Easter Vigil began after dark inside St. Peter's and we priests had very good seats.  
It was most enjoyable and prayerful as we had a nice view of the Baptisms and Confirmations.  
We sang and prayed the evening away until almost midnight.  So it was only a few hours later that we gathered for Easter morning Mass.  I had volunteered to be a Communion Distributor.  Outside there was a steady rain coming down and we were scheduled to be outside in the square.  And so it was.  I expected to be drenched by the end.  But they kept the Communion distributors in the portico, out of the rain.
 By the time of communion, it had quit raining and we went and distributed to the 1000's there.  At least we tried. As I returned to St. Peter's to undress from my vestments, the interior was practically empty.  It is rare to find that.  So I walked up front and quietly prayed for a solid 10 minutes--alone!!  
Afterwards Pope Francis was giving his Easter message (its called 'Urbe et Orbe'   translated--'to the people present and to the world').  So I returned to the thousands to listen.  
There was a great excitement in the square as he proclaimed his message of hope.  The Risen Christ was present to me in the 1000's and in the alone moments.  Alleluia!

No comments:

Post a Comment