Tuesday, April 7, 2015

SSND revisited

In these months I have traveled to some of the heritage sites of the School Sisters of Notre Dame.  They were my teachers as I grew up and my three aunts kept our family close to this community of religious women.  My connection to SSND was solidified by my 7 years as chaplain at Good Counsel.  In the 1960's the order moved its leadership from Munich (where it was founded) to Rome.
 So before I leave Rome I'm spending a few days at the Generalate for SSND which is the home and office for those chosen to be the leaders of this religious community.  
The picture is of the Council who serve the Sisters world wide.  It's a gift to be here.  Today as they went off to work I decided to visit one of the big basilicas in Rome--Mary Major.
 Since SSND is closely connected to Mary, the mother of Jesus, this church is a fitting stop for me.  The mosaics are spectacular even though the lighting is a bit dim.
 I prayed today for all SSND's living and deceased.  I know they are special women through experiencing my aunts, Sr. Agatha, Sr. Beatrice and Sr. Lucida.  They are deceased but the charism of Blessed Theresa Gerhardinger lives on in so many other sisters.  

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a wonderful day. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete