Sunday, February 15, 2015

A pause, with friends

Another week has passed.  I spent it with two good friends,  Fr. Jim Zimmer and Fr. Jerry Mahon.  Since 1982 we annually get together away from our work.  I knew that even on sabbatical that I wanted to renew this connection.  Fr. Jim is a chaplain at Sanford Hospital in Sioux Falls, SD.  Fr. Jerry is pastor at St. John the Evangelist in Rochester.  We began going skiing and did so for many years.  In recent years as our bodies have slowed down, we found ourselves just appreciating the time together. It is almost hard to explain.  We find ourselves in long discussions about various topics, many of them Church related of course.  But often we find ourselves sharing about things from our lives.  More and more I find myself treasuring these kind of moments.  I discover how much I have grown and how much farther I have to go.  This week Fr. Jerry brought the book "Fully Alive" by Tim Shriver.  After our discussions I bought myself a copy.   He is the son of Eunice and Sargent Shriver.  It is a profound book.  
Today as I prayed the Sunday Eucharist and heard the story of the healing of the leper,  I found myself longing for a "full life".  I believe God wants to heal all of us from whatever ails us or negatively controls us.  And I trust God will bless me and us with that gift.
Tomorrow I begin the more active life again in my sabbatical--I fly to Munich, Germany.  I will be posting more regularly again as I encounter new places.  May God watch between us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment