Sunday, February 22, 2015

SSND begins

After studying the early life of Mother Theresa, it was neat to find the place where the Poor School Sister's of Notre Dame began.  I came by train and car to the small town of Neunburg, Germany.  Mother Theresa and her companions began the school and their religious life in this place.  It was October 24, 1833.  The school still operates and it is a lovely facility for small children.  The sisters invited me to join them for lunch and we had a delightful time, as I struggled with German.  But the common love of Mother Theresa brought a joy to our conversation.  Sr. Christina spoke English so she got a break from teaching to be my guide.  Mother Theresa's room is still kept in all its simplicity.  Her bed would not fit me, for sure.  The trunk was what she travelled to the US with in the 1840's.  Needless to say I probably carried more than she did.   It was a lovely day trip and deeper connection to SSND.  I thought of my three aunts smiling down on me--Srs. Agatha, Beatrice and Lucida.

The

No comments:

Post a Comment