Thursday, March 5, 2015

My German hat

This hat will always remind me of Germany 2015.  
When I saw the hat and put in on, I knew it was for me.  It seemed to contain elements of Germany;  neat, sturdy and durable, good looking.  So I have been wearing it.  But today is my last full day in Germany.  My brother, Jim, left today and I will tomorrow.  I went back through the pictures of the last weeks and remembered all the places and people we encountered.  Germany is a country of strong traditions and of beautiful culture.  The huge churches also speak of a faith that is significant and heart felt.  I've also seen the effects of Nazism in human loss but also the effects of Allied bombing which left cities in shambles after World War II.  So on this Friday of Lent  I feel called back to an awareness of the enduring character of God's presence in our lives.  I see it in the people of this nation that had endured much pain and suffering.  I see it in the place of my ancestors, knowing what they brought to America within themselves.  I see it in the School Sisters of Notre Dame who are intent on living out the charism of Mother Theresa in a world that is searching for something to hold onto.  I wear the hat proudly, believing that Jesus will endure within me and continure to be my strength and saving power.  Who knows, it may appear in Italy, my next destination.  

1 comment:

  1. I like the hat. Keep wearing it in Italy!

    ReplyDelete