Monday, March 30, 2015

Simple beauty

After the big celebration of Palm Sunday, I was ready for a low key day.  On my way to pick up a few supplies I stopped at one of my favorite churches in Rome,  Santa Marie in Trastevere.
 This is probably one of the first official places of worship in Rome from the third century.  It has two features that make it special.  The mosaics are exquisite and shine forth even though the church is dimly lit.  
Mary and Jesus are central figures of course.
The flooring is called cosmatesque mosaic and has been fixed up since it was laid in the 12th century.  
These two kinds of mosaics draw one to just sit a while and take it all in, whether you are looking up or down.  Mass was scheduled and it became a simple way to celebrate today as I prayed and received the Lord.  The mosaic patterns and pictures allowed a beauty to slow me down and receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment