Sunday, March 29, 2015

The palm branch

We walked to St. Peter's early this morning so that we could receive our instructions for being a Communion Minister at a Papal liturgy.  First requirement was that we wear a cassock and surplice.  I don't remember the last time I had done that.  But there I was ready to go.
Then we took our seats in the altar area and prayed the scripture readings and the passion.  There were about 50 of us priests given this task.
During the creed they brought us each a ciborium and we stood together in front of and below the altar.  Pope Francis consecrated the hosts right in our hands.  I felt very close to Jesus as Pope Francis prayed.  During the Our Father we were lead to our place of distribution.  This method helps move things along with 10's of thousands present.  Afterwards we returned our ciboria and left our vestments.  By then Pope Francis had finished mass and was touring in his pope-mobile.
As I walked away from the square I reached in my pocket and pulled out a sprig of palm.  I had snatched it off the ground as I walked early this morning, figuring it might be all I would find today.  It had survived, a bit droopy and scrunched, but a palm, my palm.  Praise to You, Lord Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful experience to be a communion minister with the pope.

    ReplyDelete