Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The stones will shout

I arrived in the little town of Loreto.  The tradition is that the house of Mary was transported from Nazareth to Loreto by angels.  I came with a certain amount of doubt and questioning.  I found the church with the house protected inside of it.
 I began to study and read, finding that during the Crusades (1290's) the Angeli family was involved and concerned for the protection of Mary's house in Nazareth.  It is not absolutely sure but somehow they arranged for the transfer of these stones to Italy where it could be protected by the Church.  The Cardinal who was in charge of such matters was from this area and chose Loreto for their home.  The bricks have been examined and found to be from the Nazareth area.  Having just been in Nazareth and knowing the grotto there and the explanation here, it suddenly seemed very plausible.  Yesterday was the feast of the Anunciation!  
Then I realized that this house (or what's left of it) is where the Anunciation took place!  There were a lot of people around and I prayed the Eucharist with them and then headed into the house. The lower   one third of the walls are the Nazareth bricks and the rest above it has been added over the years.  I stood with my hands on the ancient bricks that had witnessed this event.  The stones were shouting -- Jesus came to us and blessed our (my) humanity.  This Presence is near and within my person each day.  Mary of Loreto, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment